Forest Research in Uttar Pradesh, started way back in 1918 with the appointment
of Mr. E.A. Smithies, of Indian Forest Service as State Silviculturists were appointed.
The need for intensive research to increase the overall productivity of the forest
was realized and as a result State Forest Research Laboratory was established at Kanpur
in 1970. Subsequently this laboratory was upgraded into the State Forest Research
Institute in 1993
FRI, U.P. At A Glance
Latitude- 26° 28’ N
Longitude- 80° 24’ E
Altitude- 15m above MSL Annual rainfall 800 to 1000mm.
Nearest Airport – Kanpur (Lucknow about)
Railway Station- Kanpur Central (about 11 km from FRI Campus)
The Major Thrust areas of Forest Research are:
- Increasing productivity of Forest through Tree Improvement Programme.
of Quality Seeds.
- Development of suitable planting techniques for Refractory
- Ex- situ as well as in situ conservation of Medicinal plants.
Development of Suitable Agro- Forest Models.
- Ecology and pollution related studies.
- Dissemination of result through training Publications of Technical
Bulletins as Well as lab to land leaflets.